Extending the specified life of a building

How to extend the specified life of a temporary building – for example, a portacom or site office.

How it works

A building with a specified life only has a set period of time in use, and must be altered, removed or demolished at the end of that period. It's usually used for buildings that are temporary – for example, a site office or portacom.

The original building consent will state the building's specified life.

You can request an extension of life to use the building for longer if it:

How to apply

You must let us know by email or letter if you want to extend the life of a building you own. You will need to state why you want an extension and how long the extension should be. 


Building Consents
Wellington City Council
PO Box 2199
Wellington 6140

Contact us

The Building Compliance and Consents team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm.

If you have a Building Compliance and Consent related query, you can submit it through our online form:

Send a query

Phone: 04 801 4311

Email: bcc@wcc.govt.nz