Forms and guidance

Find resource consent and building consent related forms and guidance.

Building Act forms and guidance

Accessibility assessment for people with disabilities

An accessibility assessment looks at how your building provides access and facilities for people with disabilities if you're changing the use of a building.

Access and facilities for people with disabilities – supporting information (162KB PDF)

Advice of licensed building practitioners

You need to let us know the name and details of all licensed building practitioners who'll be carrying out or supervising restricted building work before work begins.

Advice of licensed building practitioners (58KB PDF)

Building consent (including amendments)

A building consent confirms that proposed building work complies with the Building Code.

We only accept online applications for building consents. Applying online allows us to process your application faster and you will be able to track the processing of your application online. You will also save money as you will not need to supply printed plans.

All granted consents will be sent to customers electronically.

If you want to cancel your application

You'll need to let us know if you no longer wish to proceed with obtaining a building consent. 

Once cancelled, you will need to apply for and obtain a new Building Consent before any work can be carried out. 

Email to request your consent be cancelled. A cancellation fee may apply, and any unused fees will be refunded. 

Certificate of acceptance for unconsented work

A certificate of acceptance proves that work that was done without a consent complies with the Building Code.

Certificate for public use

A certificate for public use allows premises affected by building work to be used by the public.

Application for a certificate for public use – Simpli

Change of use

You must notify us if you're changing the use of a building – for example, changing a private home into a workplace like a daycare centre.

Code compliance certificate

You must apply for a code compliance certificate when your building work has finished. It proves the work complies with the Building Code and your building consent.

Application for code compliance certificate (396KB PDF)

Fire protection assessment checklist

This must be submitted as part of the fire report for your consent application if an acceptable solution (C/AS1-2) cannot be demonstrated.

Means of escape from fire assessment – supporting information (76KB PDF)

Owner-builder exemption

You can do restricted building work yourself as an owner-builder if you meet certain requirements.

Notification of exempt building work

As the owner, you can place a record with the Council on your property file about work you believe to be exempt from needing a building consent.

Notification of exempt building work (48KB PDF)

Pre-application meetings

If you're working on a large or complex project, you may need to have a pre-application meeting with the Council before you apply for a building consent.

Request a pre-application meeting for a building consent

Producer statements

A producer statement can help us determine whether your building work complies with the Building Code.

Quality assurance plans for complex building projects

Complex building projects use a quality assurance (QA) plan to show how the work meets the requirements of the building consent.

Resource Management Act forms and guidance

Certificate of compliance

A certificate of compliance (also known as a CoC) shows that a project is a permitted activity in a particular area and doesn't need a resource consent.

Application for a certificate of compliance (112KB PDF)

Deemed permitted boundary activity

If the only District Plan rules your home build or extension infringes are boundary rules, you may be able to apply for a boundary activity instead of a resource consent.

Existing use certificate

If you need to show that an existing activity is lawfully able to continue regardless of current District Plan rules, you can apply for an existing use certificate. This can be useful when a new project is planned and its effects will be the same or similar to the existing activity.

Existing use certificate application (108KB PDF)

Pre-application meetings

You can meet with us before you submit a resource consent application. These meetings can save you time and money later.

Resource Consent Pre-application Meeting - Registration

Resource consent

A resource consent is a written decision from the Council about a building project that may affect the environment or your community.

Submissions on a resource consent application

A submission allows you to have a say on a resource consent application that affects you in some way.

Other forms you may need

Construction noise exemption

Apply for an exemption if you want to do construction work, including roading and maintenance, outside normal hours.

Vehicle access approval

If you're adding or altering a driveway or kerb, you'll first need to get vehicle access approval.

Vehicle Access Application Form (80KB PDF)