Building consent complaints

How to make a complaint about a building consent process or decision.

Making a complaint

If you're not happy with a decision about a building consent – for example, the results of a building inspection – you can make a formal complaint to the Building Compliance and Consents team.

How to make a complaint

You can contact us by phone, in person or in writing.


Phone: 04 499 4444

Post: Building Compliance and Consents
Wellington City Council
PO Box 2199
Wellington 6140
New Zealand

What to include

When making a formal complaint, please include:

  • your first and last name
  • your phone number
  • your address
  • a detailed description of your complaint
  • any Council reference numbers you have that relate to the problem, such as your service request number
  • the names of any Council staff you have been dealing with
  • copies of any relevant letters, photographs or emails.

Advice on lodging a complaint – MBIE

What happens next

We will reply within 24 hours to let you know that your complaint has been received.

We aim to respond with next steps within 3 working days.

If we aren't able to resolve your complaint

You may be able apply for a determination to be made by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).

You can ask MBIE for advice before you apply. They can only consider council decisions relating to things like:

  • building consents
  • notices to fix
  • compliance issues.

Determinations are legally binding rulings.

Determinations – Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment

If you have a query or complaint about a building project

If you are concerned about the safety, noise levels or compliance of a building project in Wellington City, you can phone our Contact Centre any time on 04 499 4444 or email