Doing building work yourself

You may be able to do restricted building work on your home yourself if you meet the criteria for an owner-builder exemption.

Restricted building work

Anyone can do building work that's not restricted, but restricted building work usually has to be done by a licensed professional.

Generally, all work that requires a building consent will include restricted work.

Restricted building work – Building Performance

Owner-builder exemptions to do restricted work yourself

You can do restricted building work yourself as an owner-builder if you meet the following requirements:

  • You will live in the house (including as a holiday home).
  • You'll do the work yourself, or with the help of unpaid friends and family.
  • You haven't used the owner-builder exemption in another home in the last 3 years.

The work you do must comply with the Building Code and pass the inspections required by your building consent.

If you choose to use an owner-builder exemption, it will be recorded on your Land Information Memorandum (LIM) that you did the work yourself.

What you can't do as an owner-builder

Even if you have an owner-builder exemption, some specialised work must still be done by a qualified person. This includes:

  • drain-laying
  • electrical work
  • gas-fitting
  • plumbing.

Hiring professionals and tradespeople

Applying for an owner-builder exemption

You need to complete a Statutory Declaration as to Owner-Builder - Form 2B.

You can fill the form online using our Simpli portal. Your statutory declaration will be automatically linked to your building consent.

Statutory declaration (Simpli)

Alternatively, you can fill in the statutory declaration print from available from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment and attach it to your building consent application.

The form must be signed by a Justice of the Peace or someone else authorised to witness statutory declarations.

Owner-builder statutory declaration print form – Building Performance

Giving notice if anything changes

You must complete the Notice of Owner Builder - Form 2C to let us know if you decide:

  • not to do the work yourself
  • to do the work yourself after you've applied for a building consent.

You can fill the form online using our Simpli portal.

Owner-builder notice (Simpli)

Alternatively, you can fill in the owner-builder notice form available the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment and email it to

Owner-builder notice print form – Building Performance

Contact us

The Building Compliance and Consents team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm.

If you have a Building Compliance and Consent related query, you can submit it through our online form:

Send a query

Phone: 04 801 4311