This $600,000 fund is fully covered by the Council and administered by Bike On NZ Charitable Trust, the creators of the Bikes in Schools programme.
It was created in 2015 following the success of the pilot Bikes in Schools programmes at: Karori West School, West Park School (Johnsonville) and Holy Cross School (Miramar).
Schools that received grants from this fund between 2015 and 2020 are:
- Amesbury School (Churton Park)
- Evans Bay Intermediate School (Kilbirnie)
- Hampton Hill School (Tawa)
- Holy Cross School (Miramar)
- Houghton Valley School (Houghton Bay)
- Karori West Normal School (Karori)
- Makara Model School ( Makara)
- Miramar Central School (Miramar)
- Ridgeway School (Brooklyn)
- Scots College (Strathmore)
- West Park School (Johnsonville)
Now over 4,000 students can ride bikes everyday on purpose-built tracks within their school grounds. Plus the community can use the tracks on nights, weekends and during school holidays.
Apply for funding
Applications are now open.
Here is some of the information we need to know:
- Is the project supported by your Board of Trustees?
- Is there sufficient space to build tracks on or near your school?
- How will the programme be incorporated as part of every day life of your school?
You will be able to submit an application with this online form, or use the printable version and either post to: PO Box 2199, or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikes in Schools online application
Bikes in Schools application form (31KB PDF) | Text version (56KB RTF)
A great way for you to find out what is involved is to talk to the schools with Bikes in Schools programmes.
You can also talk to Bike on Trust New Zealand, or contact us:
Sustainable Transport Coordinator
Phone: 021 367 714