Lowering the speed limit of vehicles:
- addresses community concerns
- reduces the severity of injury crashes
- creates a safer, more pleasant community, shopping and business environment
- makes it safer for all road users including pedestrians and cyclists
- encourages more active ways of travelling.
Lower speed limits are in line with similar initiatives throughout New Zealand as well as internationally - in Europe, the USA and Australia
Lowering the speed limit in suburban areas
The Council has already approved lower speed limits in 19 suburban areas: Aro Valley, Berhampore, Brooklyn, Kelburn, Hataitai, Island Bay, Kelburn, Khandallah, Kilbirnie, Miramar, Ngaio, Newtown, Northland, Owhiro Bay, Seatoun, Strathmore Park, Tinakori Road and Wadestown shopping areas.
Most of these are suburban shopping areas with a speed limit of 30 km/hr.
Approved Lower Speed Zones
The Council aims to lower the speed limit in further 6 suburban shopping areas in Wellington from 50 km/h to 30 km/h.
Proposed Lower Speed Zones