Where: Ira Street, Miramar
When: Constructed c.1925
An unassuming low brick wall at the foot of the hill alongside Ira Street is the only physical remnant of Miramar’s brick-making heyday.
Firstly Gasco, and later Amalgamated Brick and Pipe Co., the brickworks was a significant local industrial plant that produced bricks, pipes, and chimney pots, provided employment for many local people and produced materials for Wellington’s construction and drain laying industries; notably the 1937-built Wellington Railway Station.
Although a very visible industry in the suburb, with the brickworks’ tall and imposing chimney a landmark, Wellington City Council’s land re-zoning from industrial to residential meant the plant was forced to close in 1968, with buildings demolished between 1969-70, although that chimney ‘did not go easily’.
Constructed of fired clay bricks 10 courses high, with two rows of bull-nosed corner bricks on top, this brick wall, the only survivor of the demolition, is laid in ‘English Garden Wall bond’, with a course of ‘headers’ (bricks laid end on to the face of the wall) laid between every three courses of ‘stretchers’ (bricks laid side on). and is now the only tangible reminder of the brickworks existence.
Check out the full listing: https://www.wellingtoncityheritage.org.nz/buildings/objects/59-ira-st-former-brickworks-wall