We’re proud supporters of these events, so here are some highlights to add to your calendar. Head to our events page for even more information and things to do.
- Sat 8 Dec | Strathmore Christmas in the Park – Head to Raukawa Reserve from 12pm-3pm for an afternoon of free whanau friendly festive fun.
- Sun 9 Dec | Khandallah Village Street Fair – The annual Khandallah Street Fair is open to all ages from 10am-2pm in the Cornerstone Community Centre. Enjoy food, performances, and pick up some early Christmas presents from the quality stallholders.
- 11-21 Dec | Toi Pōneke’s – The Toi Two Hundy annual art show is a chance for Christmas shoppers to grab a last-minute art bargain, with all artworks $200 or under.
- Sat 15 Dec | Terracotta Warriors: Guardians of Immortality exhibition opens at Te Papa – See the ancient Chinese terracotta warriors up close and personal.
- 15-19 Dec | Black Caps v Sri Lanka – Head to the Basin Reserve to see the first cricket test match of the series between New Zealand and Sri Lanka.
- Sat 15 Dec | Old St Paul’s Christmas Movie Night – Old St Paul’s is hosting a movie night, showing the festive family friendly film The Polar Express from 6pm-8pm.
- Sat 15 Dec | Christmas Pops at MFC – Enjoy orchestral works of some of your favourite carols at this special night at the Michael Fowler Centre.
- 17-21 Dec | Christmas Storytimes – Take the kids along to Christmas storytimes at a library near you.
- Fri 21 Dec | Linden Christmas BBQ – All welcome at the Linden Social Centre from 12-2pm for free sausage sizzle and spot prizes.
- Sat 22 Dec | The Cable Car Christmas – Get festive with Cable Car crew and celebrate Christmas with Fairy Trina and Santa from 3pm-5pm. Suitable for ages 3-10 years.
- Tues 25 Dec | Everybody’s Christmas Picnic – Everyone’s welcome to enjoy a Christmas picnic in Carrara Park in Newtown from midday.
- Tues 25 Dec | Free public transport – Passengers will be able to travel free on Christmas Day on the Wellington region’s buses and trains. Find out more about Christmas and New Year services at Metlink.
- Mon 31 Dec | New Year’s Eve – Ring in the New Year on the waterfront with a night of music, dancing and fireworks. Near Whairepo Lagoon by Frank Kitts Park.
- Mon 31 Dec | Summer City – This hugely popular summer festival kicks-off a line-up of over 90 events for its 40th year, including Pasifika and Te Rā o Waitangi.
- 8-27 Jan | Gardens Magic – Gardens Magic returns for 2019 with three weeks of concerts to fill your summer nights with the sounds of Aotearoa’s best and brightest. Grab a picnic and join us to celebrate 40 years of Summer City and 150 years of the Wellington Botanic Garden with memorable music. As the sun sets, see the gardens transform with a magical lighting display by MJF Lighting.
- Sat 26 Jan | Kids Magic in the Dell – Pack a picnic, grab the gang and head to the hills for a fun and fantabulous do at the Dell from 11am-1pm.
And don’t forget…
- There are six weeks of school holiday activities happening at our recreation centres, pools, community centres, libraries and botanic gardens – check out what’s available.
- The Wellington Underground Market is open every Saturday and Sunday in December with over 100 stalls of local artists and designers under one roof.
- Some of our facilities and services have reduced opening hours during holiday periods. Visit our holiday hours website section for all the information you need.
While most shops and businesses may be closed, there’s still a lot to do on Christmas Day. Enjoy one of the many walks around the capital, a picnic lunch in the Botanic Gardens, crank up the BBQ at Shorland Park, Grasslees Reserve, or Otari-Wilton’s Bush, enjoy a ride on an Onzo bike, or let someone else do the cooking and reserve your table at one of the restaurants open on the day – St Johns Bar, Logan Brown, Dragons to name a few.
And our Contact Centre remains open at all times, so if you find Santa's got stuck in the chimney, give us a call on (04) 499 4444 – we might be able to help.