Te whakarite hui
Organising an event

When planning an event, there are responsibilities you need to meet and different kinds of permits and licences you may need to apply for.

Outdoor event permit

You need to get permission to hold your event in an outdoor location, such as a beach, park, road and the waterfront. When you’ve booked the location and all the details are approved, we’ll send you an event permit.

Book an outdoor event 

Selling food

Food vendor details

When booking an event that sells food, our Public Health team will contact you for food vendor details. This is so we can check their food certification (where required) and food safety practices. There may be a fee.

Food stalls and food trucks need a food registration certificate to sell food as a business.

You don’t need a food registration certificate to sell food at a sausage sizzle or other fundraiser as long as you operate fewer than 20 times a year.

Event organisers are responsible for making sure all food vendors follow acceptable food safety practices.

During the event

An environmental health officer will usually be on hand to inspect and give advice, to make sure that food being sold to the public meets required standards. 

Special alcohol licence

You need to apply for a special alcohol licence at least 20 working days before your event if you want to sell or supply alcohol. 

Health and safety plan 

Most events need a health and safety plan. As part of the event booking process, we will assess the risks and let you know when you need to submit a plan. 

Waste management plan

If you’re planning an event with more than 1,000 people outdoors, or more than 5,000 people indoors, you’ll need to submit an event waste management and minimisation plan.

This plan is required in accordance with the Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw 2020.

Free bins for events

You can borrow rubbish and recycling wheelie bins and hoods to use at events.

Using roads for events

If your event requires the closure of a footpath or road, you need to get permission from the Council. Request this when you make an outdoor event booking.

Find out more about using roads for events.

Amusement device permit 

Get approval to operate amusement devices, such as fairground rides, inflatables and vertical bungies.

Large marquees and structures

Marquees over 100m2 and all temporary structures erected for events require a TA (Territorial Authority) Exemption in place of a building consent.

If you have any questions regarding the compliance of the proposed structure, our building consents and compliance team can help you apply for one. They can also advise you on any special permission needed for large stages, scaffolding and other structures.

Contact bcctechnicalqueries@wcc.govt.nz.

Equipment hire

We can help you access free or reasonably-priced hire equipment if you are organising a community event.

Promoting your event

The Wellington Railway Station billboard and Jervois Quay overbridge sites can be used to promote Wellington community and not-for-profit events. See event billboard and banner sites.

Contact us

We can give advice on how to run your event.

City Events team

Phone: 04 499 4444

Email: events@wcc.govt.nz