Newtown Park concept plan (21MB PDF)
The proposed concept plan includes:
- New junior module, with a theme to tie in with the neighbouring Zoo
- New swing set, with a basket swing, toddler seat and belt seat
- Refurbished bowl spinner, slappy disk spinner, spiker spinner and carousel
- New nature trail style balance elements
- New seesaw
- New picnic table
- Amenity planting
- New wider asphalt path to enhance accessibility
- New artificial turf to enhance accessibility to play equipment
The Newtown Park play area is considered a neighbourhood play area, which provides a handy place for a quick play and play opportunities targeting at least one age group.
This type of play area is for the local neighbourhood within a 600-metre walking distance.
You can read more about Wellington City Council’s strategic vision and planning for play areas in Wellington in our Play Spaces Policy (2017).
Following consultation, the following final designs have been produced: