Fill in our online form to let us know if:
- you are transferring ownership of your dog to a new owner
- you and your dog no longer live in Welington or are moving overseas
- your dog has died.
Update dog ownership details
Under the Dog Control Act, you must, within 14 days, let us know the residential address of the new owner and the address where the dog will be kept.
What you need to provide
If your dog is going to another person in Wellington, you need to provide the new owner’s:
- email address.
If you and your dog are moving overseas, you need to provide a copy of the MPI export certificate showing the date of exit from New Zealand, if you have one.
You may qualify for a refund of the registration fee. To request a refund, provide your bank account details:
- a copy of your bank deposit slip, or
- a copy of your bank statement header showing the account holder's name, account number, and the bank’s logo, or
- a screenshot showing the account holder's name, account number, and the bank’s logo from your internet banking site.
If your dog has died
If your dog has died and you would like to request a refund of your registration fee, include confirmation of your bank details. For more information, see if your dog dies.