Transferring to another property

There are some situations where your property may become unsuitable and you can transfer to another property.

To transfer to another property, you must meet one of the following criteria, and you must provide supporting documents that prove your case:

  • overcrowding due to a natural increase in family members, eg you’ve had a child, or other family members have moved in
  • your property size no longer meets your needs, eg your children have moved out and you property has more rooms than you need
  • health or medical reasons, eg you need wheelchair access or can’t manage the stairs
  • financial hardship - you can no longer afford your rent.

Once you have your documents ready, call the City Housing Allocations Advisor to discuss this. If you are eligible, they will give you a transfer application form.

Next, you must complete the application form and provide the following documentation: 

  • proof of identification
  • proof of income
  • proof of assets
  • personal details
  • family information, eg who else will be living with you?

City Housing has limited properties available but we can put you on a transfer list until a suitable property becomes available.

More information

If you have any questions about the City Housing transfer policy, or you need help applying for transfer, please feel free to contact your tenancy advisor or the City Housing Allocations Advisor on (04) 499 4444.