Water meters

Water meters allow people to pay for the actual amount of water used.

Apply for a water meter

To apply for a water meter to be installed, you will need to complete the water supply service application form (129KB PDF).

Installation cost

The cost of installing a meter depends on its location, installation requirements, meter size, and whether the meter is metal or plastic.

For specific information about installation costs, you need to contact an approved contractor to get a quote.

See approved water supply connection contractors - Wellington Water

When selling your house

If you're selling your house, you need to have a final water meter reading taken. Please give us at least 5 working days' notice when requesting a reading. Email meteredwater@wcc.govt.nz with the following information:

  • settlement date
  • name and address of where the invoice is to be sent.

If you still get a metered water invoice in your name after selling the property, it may mean that the Council hasn't been notified of the sale. It is normally your solicitor handling the sale that arranges this – check with them that they have sent this through.

Ask to pay for water and rates together

When you have a water meter at your house, you pay for water separately. If you want to pay for water and rates together, you can request this change by emailing us at rates@wcc.govt.nz

We will then change your billing category. You can find your current billing category on your rates invoice or by using our property search.

When you email us, please provide your:

  • water account number
  • residential property address.

You can also ask to know what your new annual rates would be if we changed your billing category.

Any change to the billing category will take effect from the following rating year.