How car sharing works
People join a car share scheme to use a car share vehicle. The cars are either owned or leased by the car share provider, or by members of the car share scheme, who book them online or by phone and pay by the hour.
There are many benefits of car share schemes, for the members, for the city, and for our planet.
- Members save money by not owning a car and not having to pay for maintenance, warrants, registration, and parking.
- The use of car shares helps to reduce congestion, especially at peak times.
- Share vehicles make it easy and fast to get around.
Some car shares have dedicated car parks.
- Cars are newer models and often low-emission vehicles with some companies offering electric vehicles or offsetting their emissions.
- Car share schemes also reduce wear and tear on roading and infrastructure.
Car sharing in Wellington
There are two car share operators in Wellington:
Cityhop is a station based provider where the vehicle is rented from and returned to the same location.
Contact Cityhop for more information.
Mevo vehicles are rented from a “home zone” and returned to anywhere within that zone. For example, it could be rented from the CBD but dropped off at a home zone in Miramar.
Contact Mevo for more information.
Parking for car share vehicles
There currently are more than 30 dedicated parks for car share vehicles. Under the Council’s new Car Sharing Guidelines, free floating car share vehicles are permitted to park in resident parking areas.