Tono i tētahi raihana mō ngā karaehe whakapakari tinana
Apply for a fitness classes licence

Apply for a commercial fitness class licence and promote active and healthy lifestyles in our public spaces.

Commercial fitness activities refer to classes held on public land where participants pay trainers or instructors for their services.

We ask that group trainers get a licence to ensure our public spaces are well-managed with no damage to the environment or facilities.

Examples of fitness groups include:

  • gym sessions
  • circuit training
  • boot camps
  • boxing and pad training.

Running, cycling, and walking groups that are not commercial in nature don't need a licence.

To get your fitness class licence you may need the following, depending on your activity.

  • A health and safety plan. Have a think about how you intend to keep your group and our public places safe.
  • We want to keep Wellington beautiful, so we recommend a plan for managing your waste if your activity generates any.
  • We also recommend public liability insurance.

Apply online

Times and restrictions

Training locations

You can hold your training groups at our sports grounds, parks and reserves.

Please note that as parks and reserves are places where people go to enjoy the outdoors, and where events take place, there may be times when you may need to change where you train.


Many of our parks and sportsgrounds require permissions.


There are no application fees for fitness class licences.

There may be a booking fee depending on the location and facilities at the location. Some venues may also require a bond to cover possible damages or wear and tear.

Contact us

For use of the waterfront contact Waterfront Operations.


Phone: 04 499 4444

For use of our parks and reserves contact our Parks, Sport and Recreation Team.


Phone: 04 499 4444