Food business complaints

Make a complaint about food safety or hygiene at a business in Wellington City, or about the Council's food safety processes.

If you think you got sick from a food business

If you think something you've eaten from a food premises has made you sick, contact Regional Public Health.

They'll need to know:

  • what you ate
  • when you ate it
  • when symptoms started
  • where you bought it from
  • anyone else who ate there with you.

Contact us – Regional Public Health

To complain about food hygiene or food safety practices

To complain about poor hygiene or unsafe food handling at a food business, contact our Public Health team.

What to include

Include information about:

  • what you saw – for example, rats, mice or insect infestations at a food premises, dirty premises or staff or poor food handling practices
  • when you saw it
  • the address of the premises.

How to submit your complaint

Contact the Council's Public Health team. They are available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Public Health
Phone: 04 499 4444