What are parklets
Parklets can transform parking spaces into vibrant public spaces built for people to sit, relax, and enjoy the city. Parklets are best where the street lacks public space, or the footpaths are too narrow to provide outdoor dining spaces.
All parklets are smokefree.
Benefits of a parklet
- improve the street experience
- be good for businesses because they bring more life to the street
- provide more space to socialise
- slow traffic and make the street safer
- help give an area its own special feel and identity
- be low cost and simple to construct
- provide more outdoor space for businesses and their customers to safely spend time during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Spaces approved for parklets are free until March 2023. After that, fees may apply.
If you decide to renew your parklet after 12 months, Wellington City Council may commercially value the car parks and charge you annually.
As a business, you need to pay for construction, installation and maintenance of your parklet.
Apply for a parklet
1. Complete a site self-assessment
The site self-assessment helps you identify if the car park space you’re interested in is suitable for a parklet.
Download site self-assessment checklist (31.9KB PDF)