Apply for a new club licence

You will need a club licence if you want to sell alcohol at a sport or social club.

A club licence allows you to sell or supply alcohol to drink on the premises of a club (for example, a sports club) to:

  • club members
  • club members' guests
  • members of clubs with reciprocal visiting rights.

Your club must be an incorporated society to be eligible for this type of licence.

How to apply

1. Fill in the application form

Application for a new club licence (363KB PDF)

2. Calculate the fee

The amount you pay depends on the kind of business you run and your opening hours.

You'll pay:

  • an application fee
  • a public notice fee – either $150 with your application to advertise on our website, or a separate charge to the Dominion Post
  • an annual fee – to be paid before your licence is issued, and then every year after that.

Alcohol licence fees

3. Submit and pay for your application

Make sure you have all the supporting documents required and you've correctly calculated the fee you need to pay.

Contact us

You can meet with an alcohol licensing inspector for free. They're available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Alcohol Licensing 
Phone: 04 801 3760

Meet with an alcohol licensing inspector