Report a problem
Do it online
The Services section of Karori Cemetery was established in 1918 to honour those who served in wars.
Photo 1 of 2
Photo 2 of 2
Built in 1921 with an Arts and Crafts influence, this war memorial bears the inscription Peace with Honour. It was intended to be a shelter as well as the Formal entrance to an extensive garden which has several diverse monuments.
"The Wellington Provincial Arch records the names of those members of the New Zealand Expeditionary force who enlisted in the Wellington district and who died and were buried at sea between the New Zealand Overseas bases.
The Great War 1914 – 1919"
"Members of the Armed Forces who enlisted in this district who died in the service of their country in and around New Zealand or En Route to overseas services and to whom the fortunes of war denied and honoured grave."
This was erected by Mrs. Holmes in memory of her husband, Lt Colonel Matthew Holmes M.D F.R.C.S.
Lt Col Matthew Holmes served in Gallipoli, Sinai. O.C N.Z Field Ambulance France.
The two marble benches were erected by the Wellington Women’s National Reserve.
“In the Remembrance of those who fought in the Great War 1914 – 1919"
These Marble Steps are erected to the memory of Rifleman Frank Kane 26113 and his comrades who fell at Passchendaele. October 1917.
These Marble Steps were erected by the Wellington Women’s National Reserve Girls Branch.