About the project
The purpose of this project is to upgrade Newlands Park, creating a good quality community park in the Newlands/Paparangi catchment.
In 2019 we consulted on the design with the local community to ensure the upgraded facilities will meet their needs.
The consultation is now complete, and the final concept design can be viewed below.
Construction is planned for 2020 and will take a phased approach.
Installation of the walking/exercise track around the playing field is currently underway, and is due for completion at the end of March 2020.
A traffic survey and study of Newlands Road through the park interface has been completed. This has led to some changes to the design of the main entrance to the lower area of the park. The design work is still in progress.
All other aspects of the upgrade works are at design detail and engineering specification stage. This work is expected to be completed by the end of June 2020, and will be used to create tender specifications and detailed contract documents.
The works will go out to market (open tender) by the end of July, and a contractor will be appointed by the end of August 2020.
On-site works will start by end of October/early November 2020.
Newlands Park was identified as a redevelopment opportunity as part of the Northern Reserves Management Plan in 2008.
Following consultation with the local community, initial concept designs and a proposed site plan were developed in 2010. In 2019 we did some further engagement to understand if community needs and opinions had changed during the intervening years.
Funding for the upgrade was approved as part of the 2018-2028 Long Term Plan. The overall budget for this project is $3.6 million, with $1.54 million being allocated from the Plimmer Trust.
During July and August 2019, we asked the local community for feedback on an initial discussion plan (below), which we developed for Newlands Park.
Discussion plan – initial consultation
Newlands Park discussion concept - July 2019 (6.5MB PDF)
Feedback was gathered through an online survey and at a community drop-in session at Newlands Community Centre. Here's what we learned:
- The majority of people were in favour of the discussion plan which we presented.
- There was widespread support for the development of a loop track area, playground, nature play area and wetland. Although a pump track/bike skills area was not in the discussion plan, there was a lot of support for this in the feedback.
- Comments about the basketball area were mixed. The majority supported the casual recreation all-weather area but felt it could be smaller.
- There was strong support for developing our relationship with local iwi and involving them in the upgrade.
- Heavy traffic flow on Newlands Road and road safety is an important consideration, and the final design will take this into account. We will also continue to explore options around parking and vehicle access.
In October and November 2019, we asked the local community for their feedback on a draft landscape plan (below) for Newlands Park.
Draft landscape plan – second consultation
Newlands Park discussion concept - October 2019 (2.6KB PDF)
The plan was developed following the initial consultation, and took into account the feedback received from the general public and local iwi representatives.
The plan focused on:
- playground development
- all-weather casual recreation area - a new non-bookable facility with all-weather surface for ball sports and other activities
- basketball play area - a new half-court facility
- creating a new bike pump track
- upgrading the skate park
- installation of picnic and barbecue area - a new recreational space where families can gather
- providing public toilets - new facilities to be located close to the play space
- improving pedestrian access
- improving vehicle access and parking facilities
- creating an all-weather perimeter path around the top level of the park
- enhancing wetland and planting areas.
Feedback received during the second consultation was used to inform the final concept design.
Newlands Fire Station
During the initial consultation, many people raised concerns about the relocation of the Newlands Volunteer Fire Station, and we are working with Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) on this.
FENZ Area Commander Dave Key says this involves identifying the operational
requirements for Newlands and surrounding communities, both now and in the future, to ensure Fire and Emergency is best able to meet the needs of the community.
This work will inform any decisions on the location and type of future station. Dave says Fire and Emergency crews will continue to respond promptly to any incidents in the Newlands area.
If you have queries about the Newlands Fire station, please contact FENZ
- 19 July 2019: Initial engagement – feedback survey opened (complete)
- 28 July 2019: Community drop-in session (complete)
- 12 August 2019: Initial engagement – feedback survey closed (complete)
- September/ October 2019: Draft landscape plan development (complete)
- 23 October 2019: Draft landscape plan presented to the public (complete)
- 6 November 2019: Feedback on draft landscape plan closed (complete)
- December 2019: Final concept design to be presented to the public (complete)
- 2020: Construction to begin (underway)
David Halliday, Project Manager Open Space
Parks, Sports and Recreation