About the project
The purpose of this project is to upgrade Newlands Park, creating a good quality community park in the Newlands/Paparangi catchment.
In 2019 we consulted on the design with the local community to ensure the upgraded facilities will meet their needs.
Installation of the walking/exercise track around the playing field has now been completed.
A traffic survey and study of Newlands Road through the park interface has been completed. This has led to some changes to the design of the main entrance to the lower area of the park. The design work has now been completed, and final plan can be viewed below.
Newlands Park final concept design – November 2020 (6.7MB PDF)
Downer NZ have been appointed as the contractor for the Newlands Park upgrade.
Construction on both the top field (car park upgrade) and bottom field (construction of new play area) will start end November/early December 2020 and the park will be closed to the public while construction is carried out.
The top field will re-open in late March, 2021 in time for winter sport.
During the closure there will still be pedestrian access for sports practice and weekend play.
The lower field will re-open in late May, 2021.
For your own safety, please stay clear of the site while the works are carried out.
Newlands Park was identified as a redevelopment opportunity as part of the Northern Reserves Management Plan in 2008.
Following consultation with the local community, initial concept designs and a proposed site plan were developed in 2010. In 2019 we did some further engagement to understand if community needs and opinions had changed during the intervening years.
Funding for the upgrade was approved as part of the 2018-2028 Long Term Plan. The overall budget for this project is $3.6 million, with $1.54 million being allocated from the Plimmer Trust.
During July and August 2019, we asked the local community for feedback on an initial discussion plan (below), which we developed for Newlands Park.
Discussion plan – initial consultation
Newlands Park discussion concept - July 2019 (6.5MB PDF)
Feedback was gathered through an online survey and at a community drop-in session at Newlands Community Centre. Here's what we learned:
- The majority of people were in favour of the discussion plan which we presented.
- There was widespread support for the development of a loop track area, playground, nature play area and wetland. Although a pump track/bike skills area was not in the discussion plan, there was a lot of support for this in the feedback.
- Comments about the basketball area were mixed. The majority supported the casual recreation all-weather area but felt it could be smaller.
- There was strong support for developing our relationship with local iwi and involving them in the upgrade.
- Heavy traffic flow on Newlands Road and road safety is an important consideration, and the final design will take this into account. We will also continue to explore options around parking and vehicle access.
In October and November 2019, we asked the local community for their feedback on a draft landscape plan (below) for Newlands Park.
Draft landscape plan – second consultation
Newlands Park discussion concept - October 2019 (2.6KB PDF)
The plan was developed following the initial consultation, and took into account the feedback received from the general public and local iwi representatives.
The plan focused on:
- playground development
- all-weather casual recreation area - a new non-bookable facility with all-weather surface for ball sports and other activities
- basketball play area - a new half-court facility
- creating a new bike pump track
- upgrading the skate park
- installation of picnic and barbecue area - a new recreational space where families can gather
- providing public toilets - new facilities to be located close to the play space
- improving pedestrian access
- improving vehicle access and parking facilities
- creating an all-weather perimeter path around the top level of the park
- enhancing wetland and planting areas.
Feedback received during the second consultation was used to inform the final concept design.
Newlands Fire Station
The Newlands Volunteer Fire Brigade will be temporarily housed at another location in Newlands while a decision is made on a permanent location.
The brigade’s temporary new home will be Fire and Emergency’s ICT Hub in Hurring Place, Newlands, which is 1.4km from the existing fire station.
In the meantime, Newlands residents and those in surrounding areas can be assured that they will continue to be served by the Newlands brigade as well as crews from the neighbouring Johnsonville Fire Station.
If you have queries about the Newlands Fire station, please contact FENZ
- 19 July 2019: Initial engagement – feedback survey opened (complete)
- 28 July 2019: Community drop-in session (complete)
- 12 August 2019: Initial engagement – feedback survey closed (complete)
- September/ October 2019: Draft landscape plan development (complete)
- 23 October 2019: Draft landscape plan presented to the public (complete)
- 6 November 2019: Feedback on draft landscape plan closed (complete)
- December 2019: Final concept design to be presented to the public (complete)
- 2020: Construction to begin (underway)
David Halliday, Project Manager Open Space
Parks, Sports and Recreation