Forrester’s Lane is a private laneway off Tory Street, which is home to the Sustainability Trust, Forresters Lane bar and the soon-to-be created Paramount retail area.
We are working closely with the businesses to regenerate the area to provide a safe, vibrant, inviting space that encourages people to visit the businesses located there.
We are going to:
- highlight the lane entrance with a mural so it’s easier for people to find
- install energy efficient lighting to create a safer, brighter laneway
- create a better pedestrian space outside the Sustainability Trust to make this area more inviting to pedestrians and encourage patrons of the Sustainability Trust to sit and enjoy the space
- install new low planters, planted out with natives, to increase the number of plants along the laneway and to improve sightlines
- move existing trees to the space outside Sustainability Trust.
Timeframe and traffic disruptions
There may be some times when getting up and down the lane will be harder than usual. We will try to keep disruption to a minimum and we will have signs in place to let you know what is going on and when.
If we have to close the lane, or parts of the lane, for a period we will use signs and traffic lights or 'stop/go' people to manage access.
Some of the privately owned car parks are being changed so there may be some interruption to car parking. We will let affected tenants and building owners know when this is happening.
The project will take about three months to finish, if the weather gods are kind, slightly longer if they are not.
As the population of the inner city continues to grow it is becoming more and more important to provide accessible and high quality greenspaces where people can relax and enjoy the outdoors.
Laneways offer shorter and more attractive pedestrian routes through large city blocks. Our many laneway projects are part of a bigger plan to transform areas of the city centre to improve Wellington’s walkability and make it a more attractive and interesting place to visit and live.
Funding for all the laneways projects was allocated in the Long-Term Plan. Forresters Lane is a relatively small project which will cost under $150,000.
If you want to keep up with this project we will be updating this webpage and emailing regular progress reports.
Call us on 04 499 4444 or email: UD.Forresters@wcc.govt.nz if you have questions.