Farmers Lane Upgrade

We are upgrading Farmers Lane with new seating and planting.

Artist impression of the new Farmers Lane, showing a large concrete area, seating and planting boxes.
Artist impression of the new Farmers Lane

About this project

In 2019 Council was approached by Cornerstone Partners for a joint venture to upgrade Farmers Lane, which is a pedestrian accessway between Lambton Quay and The Terrace, servicing up to 900 people a day.

The Farmers Lane upgrade is aligned with Let’s Get Wellington Moving and the Golden Mile outcomes.

Updates

April 2022

Contractor’s completed works on Farmers Lane road carriageway in August 2021 in preparation for the next stage of delivery. The new road design has lifted the road level to become one surface from Lambton Quay to the beginning of the steps leading to the Terrace.

This creates a wider pedestrian space and room for new seating and planting elements which will improve public amenity in the space.

Concrete planter with a geometric pattern design on one side.
New concrete planters

The concrete planters have now been built, including the sandblasting of imagery that recognises Kumutoto Pā, a significant pā which was part of the site in the 1800’s

The next delivery stage is anticipated to get underway at the end of April 2022. This includes the installation of improved lighting for the thoroughfare between Lambton Quay and the Terrace, and the placement of concrete planters which will be planted onsite.

Works are expected to cause disruption to the lane for 1-2 weeks.

Our Cornerstone Partners will be undertaking installation of final elements at a later stage. This includes timber seating that will be fixed to the planters, and additional path and feature lighting along the building edge.

History of Kumutoto Pā

The area of Farmers Lane was part of Kumutoto Pā which extended north to what is now Bowen Street. The pā was established in 1824-25 by Ngāti Mutunga and Ngāti Tama who were part of the Nihoputa migration from Taranaki. From circa 1830, Kumutoto Pā became the central flax-collection point in a network of flax stations up and down the East Coast of the North Island. Kumutoto Stream entered Wellington harbour at the intersection of Woodward Street and Lambton Quay.

The area of Farmers Lane lies within the three-and-a-half acres bought by flax-trader David Scott from Pomare Ngātata in March 1831. Scott fenced the site and built warehouses and dwellings. Following the 1835 Ngāti Mutunga and Ngāti Tama migration to the Chatham Islands, Te Atiawa chief Wi Tako Ngātata and approximately fifty Te Āti Awa iwi members moved to Kumutoto Pā.

Contact us

If you have any questions, email urbandesign@wcc.govt.nz