Update – 9 September
Stage two of the upgrade at Keith Spry Pool is complete and the main pool will be reopening from 20 September. It’s been a long time coming and we’ve appreciated your patience along the way.
Due to Alert Level 2, we will be operating on a limited timetable and will provide more information on this as soon as possible.
We’ve been busy strengthening the building, replacing the skylights and installing a new acoustic ceiling. We’re also giving it a lick of paint to brighten things up.
Now that stage two is complete, we’ll be moving onto the final stage of work. This includes a full upgrade to the accessible changing facilities, as well as building a birthday party room and new public toilets on Frankmoore Avenue. The project is expected to be fully completed by the end of the year.
The project is split into three phases, over nine months:
Stage one: September - October 2020 (Completed)
- All pools remain open
- Refurbishment of Level one staff area
Stage two: 14 December 2020 - August 2021 (Completed)
- Main pool will be closed
- Works above spa, sauna and reception area to the ceiling and timber beams
- Works to replace the skylight and install a new acoustic ceiling
- Lick of paint to brighten things up
- Overall, the structural work will bring the building's earthquake resilience to 70% NBS - which is a great investment for the future.
Stage three: August 2021 - TBC (In progress)
- All pools are open again
- Accessible change closed for full upgrade
- Building a new multi-function space, upgrading accessible/family change rooms and building new public toilets on Frankmoore Avenue
Impact on SwimWell
SwimWell lessons at Keith Spry Pool will start up again from Monday 20 September.
For more info head to the SwimWell website.
Impact on Thorndon Pool
With Keith Spry main pool re-opening, this means the extended season at Thorndon has come to an end. It’s been nice to have the summer pool open for longer as it is a popular spot, but we need to close up to get it all prepped for the summer season starting in October.
Impact on Aquafitness
Aquafit classes are currently on hold across our Wellington Community Pools due to COVID Alert Level 2. For more information, you can visit the ClubActive website.
For more information about the upgrade contact Amy Carter, Community Pools Manager Amy.Carter@wcc.govt.nz
For SwimWell queries email@example.com