About medium-density housing
Medium-density housing can be stand-alone, semi-detached, terraced houses or apartment buildings, all up to three storeys high.
Medium-density housing developments have several benefits. They provide:
- options for new home buyers that suit their needs, such as a one- or two-person home, family home, or place to retire
- ownership options for investors and homeowners
- a range of affordable housing
- better use of limited land near town centre
- compact development which is energy efficient.
There are many ways to build medium-density housing, and each development would respond to site opportunities, constraints and surroundings.
Expand this image to see an example of medium-density housing and some common key features.
Source: McIndoe Urban & Clare Bush Architects, Palmerston North City Council
Examples of medium-density housing in Wellington
Medium-density housing case studies
What we currently consider