To make the Brooklyn Library building stronger and safer, contractors have:
- strengthened three columns by adding a layer of concrete and tying it to the original column.
- reduced the large east-facing window by infilling a quarter of the area with solid concrete and installing a new window.
- filled in the small toilet window with concrete and installed an exhaust system.
To improve fire protection for the flats above the library, the smoke alarm systems have been upgraded and the external stair rail replaced with a solid one.
The work was done by Tracer Construction Limited
Background to this work
The strengthening means the building is no longer earthquake-prone. This is part of our work programme to improve Wellington’s earthquake resilience.
The library is an integral part of the community and is well used by local schools, early childhood centres, as well as residents in Brooklyn and surrounding communities.
Brooklyn Library originally opened in 1905 at 22 Harrison Street in what is now the Brooklyn Playcentre. It started with 350 books and was the second Wellington City Branch Library.
The current building at Cleveland Street was built and opened in 1960.
To learn more about the library’s history, see:
About Brooklyn Library - Wellington City Libraries
For the latest information on library hours, visit:
Brooklyn Library - Wellington City Libraries
If you have any questions about the project, feel free to phone (04) 499 4444.