Stage set for Movie Museum consultation

10 February 2016

Wellington City residents have the opportunity to play their part, have their say, and write their lines to the story that will bring a combined Movie Museum and Convention Centre to the Capital.

A view of Wellington harbour during dawn.
Resize

The public consultation process for the proposed attraction will run from this Monday, 15 February through to 15 March, after Councillors agreed unanimously today to approve the statement of proposal and begin the public consultation process.

Council had already agreed in principle, in December 2015, to support the proposal for a combined facility and purchase the land opposite Te Papa on Cable Street.

Mayor Celia Wade-Brown says that both the ideas of a convention centre and movie museum were consulted on during last year’s Long Term Plan 2015-2025 (LTP) process.

“I’m delighted we can start the Movie Museum five years earlier. The combined project is even better than the two separately. Does Wellington agree to get on with it?

“It’s important to allow the public another say on the new combined project because funding will be brought forward five years earlier than originally scheduled in the LTP,” says Mayor Wade-Brown.

Chair of the Economic Growth and Arts Committee, Cr Jo Coughlan, says The Movie Museum and Convention Centre will be great for the Capital’s economic development.

“The Movie Museum itself is estimated to draw over 300,000 people per annum once it’s up and running, the Convention Centre will grow Wellington’s convention market by 10 percent, and the unique combination of the two will contribute $38 million GDP each year for the local economy.

“The combined facility, including the land, will cost an estimated $134 million, providing 440 construction jobs and, once the facility opens, create 483 new jobs in addition to protecting 85 existing jobs in the conference sector,” says Cr Coughlan.

Deputy Mayor Justin Lester says the consultation process is a key step in making the Movie Museum and Convention Centre a reality.

“This investment can’t come soon enough so I’m really looking forward to hearing from Wellingtonians about our plans to bring forward the Movie Museum project by five years,” he says. “This is a significant project for the Capital.”

Because the funding is already agreed in the Long Term Plan, there would be minimal impact on rates over the ten year LTP. The consultation period runs concurrent with other key Council consultation processes, such as the Annual Plan 2016-2017.

In December last year the Wellington City Council agreed to purchase the site opposite Te Papa and agreed in principle to build a movie museum together with a new purpose-built convention centre on that site. Council would be partnering with private interests headed by Sir Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Sir Richard Taylor and Tania Rodger to deliver the movie museum.

Council will construct the three-level building which will include an up to 1100- delegate convention centre on the top floor. The Movie Museum will lease the lower two floors from Council and fit out and operate the space.

Key dates in the Movie Museum and Convention Centre process:

  • 15 February – public consultation period begins
  • 15 March – public consultation period ends
  • 21 March – Oral hearing
  • Council’s final decision is expected by early May.

The consultation webpage is found here: The Movie Museum and Wellington Convention Centre