Entry in World of WearableArt Awards Show
The accolades won last night were:
- BEST ESTABLISHED REGIONAL EVENT - Visa Wellington On a Plate
- BEST NEW ZEALAND OWNED MAJOR EVENT - World of WearableArt Awards Show
- BEST PARTNERSHIP FOR AN EVENT - Visa Wellington On a Plate
- BEST ONE OFF EVENT - The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, World Premiere
- BEST EVENT PROFESSIONAL - Sue Paterson (New Zealand Festival)
- LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD - Dame Suzie Moncrieff (World of WearableArt founder)
Mayor Celia Wade-Brown says Wellington won six of the 10 awards on offer – against tough competition from around the country. “Last night’s outstanding success is proof that we are the Events Capital.
“Congratulations to Dame Suzie and Sue Paterson and to the thousands of people, both paid and volunteers, who have pitched in to produce these outstanding events.
“We are proud to host and support an impressive variety of innovative, exciting and quintessentially-Wellington events that help to make this the coolest little Capital. I congratulate all the winners on their thoroughly deserved achievement,” says Mayor Wade-Brown.
Councillor Jo Coughlan, Chair of Wellington City Council’s Economic Development and Arts Committee, says as well as making Wellington a great place to visit and to live, events provide clear benefits for the Wellington economy.
“These awards are due recognition of the importance of these events. They not only support spend in the retail, hospitality and accommodation sectors, they also create employment and attract talent to the city.
“Overall we estimate the four events that were recognised last night have generated more than $100 million in spend in the city and region.
“We are committed to making Wellington a great place to invest and do business, and supporting events is a big part of that. And the best thing is – we’re working hard on even more great events for the city – so watch this space.”