Voting Starts on Friday

17 September 2013

Voting papers for the local elections will be sent to all enrolled voters from Friday. If you care about your city, use your voice to have a say in how it’s run.

Electoral officer with ballot boxes.

Electoral officer with ballot boxes

You can vote in the Wellington City Council, Greater Wellington Regional Council, Capital & Coast District Health Board and (if you live in that area) Tawa Community Board.

Voting is easy – simply return your completed papers in the Freepost return envelope provided by post or to one of the clearly marked ballot boxes in city libraries (from 2 October) or the Council offices on Wakefield Street (from Friday).

Your papers need to reach the electoral officer by 12 noon on Saturday 12 October (which means you should get them in the mail by 9 October). With school holidays coinciding with the voting period, everyone leaving town should remember to vote before they go, or take papers with them for posting.

All elections in Wellington City are held under the Single Transferable Voting (STV) electoral system. Electoral Officer Charlie Inggs says the system is easier than you might think.

“Just rank your preferred candidates by writing a ‘1’ in the box next to the candidate you most prefer, a ‘2’ beside the candidate you next prefer, and so on. You can rank as many or as few candidates as you like – you don’t have to rank them all.”

By ranking candidates in your preferred order, you’re saying which other candidates you prefer if your top candidate doesn’t have enough support to get in or if your top choice doesn’t need all the votes they received to be elected. For a more detailed explanation of the STV system, see:
Single Transferable Vote

Charlie says it’s important to decide who will best represent you and your community then write a number next to their names. “There’s some information about candidates included with the voting papers but you can find out more at a ‘meet the candidates’ meeting near you.

Alternatively, check out the information and discussions at:
Local Elections 2013 - Vote

If you haven’t received voting papers by the end of next week, you’ll need to apply for a special vote. This also applies if your name was added to the electoral roll after 16 August or if your voting papers are damaged or spoiled.

You can apply for a special vote by phoning (04) 499 4444 or calling into the elections office at the Council on Wakefield Street.

You’re eligible to vote if you live or pay rates in Wellington City (subject to certain criteria) and are 18 or over.

That’s quite different from elections of old, where you had to own land to be able to vote. This year marks the 150th anniversary of the Wellington Town Board – the forerunner of Wellington City Council (which was formed in 1870) and the start of the organisation we see today. So add your voice to a long history of civic decision-making.

Due to the fact that nominated candidates have been elected unopposed, there are no elections for:

  • Makara/Ohariu Community Board
  • Wellington District Hutt Mana Charitable Trust
  • Porirua Tawa Constituency of Greater Wellington Regional Council .

To keep updated on key dates and information in the voting period, or for more information about the elections, call Charlie Inggs on (04) 499 4444 or see:
Election 2013