There may be some changes to branch library opening hours
Services and spending
We propose some changes to branch library hours:
- Brooklyn, Cummings Park (Ngaio), Wadestown and Island Bay libraries would close at 5pm on weekdays instead of 5.30pm or 6pm
- Khandallah Library weekday hours would change to 1–5.30pm.
The recreation discount card would continue and we’d consider initiatives from partners and the community, but we would no longer develop new programmes.
Pay and display parking
We propose to introduce pay-and-display parking at two locations:
- Botanic Garden - an enforceable P120 time limit, and pay-and-display parking at $2 per hour, 10am–4pm weekdays
Freyberg Pool - pay-and-display parking at $1.50 per hour, from 8am–6pm, Monday–Thursday and 8am–8pm Friday.
Revenue would go back into these facilities.
Wellington Regional Aquatic Centre crèche
We plan to continue running the crèche but introduce charges of $3–$4 per hour.
We also propose to reduce the operating grants to Wellington Zoo Trust (by $84,000) and Positively Wellington Tourism (by $140,000); and introduce permits for taxis using taxi stands, which would generate revenue of $400,000 per year, after three years. More details and other proposals are in the draft Plan.
Fees and charges - what you need to know
We’re proposing some changes to fees and charges in the following areas, and we’d like your feedback:
- recycling, waste minimisation and disposal
burials and cremations
public health regulations
building control and facilitation
Decisions are guided by our Revenue and Financing Policy. Under the policy, we take into account who benefits from a service to help us decide how it should be funded.
Proposed new fees and charges include:
- the fee for rubbish bags to go down slightly from $2.52 to $2.50
- fees for all pools except Khandallah Pool to increase from 10–20 cents per swim, with slight rises in concession passes and swim memberships
- fees for Khandallah Pool to rise from $2 to $3 for adults and $1 to $1.50 for children
- slight rises in dog registration fees.
You’ll find the full list in the draft Annual Plan – new fees would come into effect on 1 July.
Draft Annual Plan 2013/14