Wellington City Council Sports and Events Portfolio Leader, Councillor John Morrison, says people will be spoilt for choice.
"Make a day of it on Saturday and head down to Civic Square and Waitangi Park to take in the annual gay and lesbian fair 'Out in the Square' and, just a short walk away at Waitangi Park, the Positively Pasifika festival. There'll be great food, traditional performances and 'have-a-go' activities to celebrate our diverse Pacific cultures."
The theme of this year's Pasifika festival is 'We Are The Ocean', which celebrates Pacific Islanders' voyaging cultures and connections.
Council Event Coordinator, Marisa Pene, says the Pasifika festival kicks off at 9.30am Saturday with a 'We Are The Ocean' procession.
"The sea is very important to Pacific Islanders and this year sustainability is part of the theme. In keeping with this, the festival will be plastic water bottle-free." Thanks to support from Bulk Water, there will be a 'Village Well' onsite that people can fill their drink bottles or cups from."
The headline acts for Positively Pasifika are up-and-coming street soul funkstress Iva Lamkum, and Brownhill - a sunshine reggae band - featuring special guest Swiss. There will also be a talent quest - supported by Nui FM - and fun competitions like jandal-kicking, tug-of-war and a chop suey taste-off. Marisa says bring your own ukulele and learn an island ditty at the ukulele workshop, 'island styles'.
To cap off the busy weekend, the ever-popular Capital E Great Scavenger Hunt is on Sunday between 10am and 4pm and the Birdman Competition on Monday, Anniversary Day, from 10am to 5pm on the waterfront. ASB Gardens Magic will also be continuing in the evenings at the Botanic Garden and there's a kids' concert on Sunday at 2.30pm.
Wellington Anniversary Weekend
- Friday 18 January - ASB Gardens Magic: 7pm Kaivai, 8pm Data Hui
- Saturday 19 January - Positively Pasifika 2013: We Are The Ocean - Waitangi Park, 11am-6pm
- Saturday 19 January - Out in the Square - Civic Square 11am-5pm
- Saturday 19 January - ASB Gardens Magic: The Nudge
- Sunday 20 January - The Great Scavenger Hunt and Extravaganza - Capital E and waterfront, 10am-4pm
- Sunday 20 January - ASB Gardens Magic: 2.30pm Gerry Pail - Tales from the Sea and an Elephant Tree (kids' concert), 8pm Amiria Grenell
- Monday 21 January - Birdman Wellington - waterfront, 10am-5pm