Thousands of people flock to the Newtown Festival Fair Day every year
Make sure to bring cash! The Newtown Festival Street Fair will also act as a significant fundraiser for the Christchurch Earthquake. Look out for off-duty firemen, and also Wellington Phoenix and Hurricanes players, who will be walking around Riddiford Street with collection tins. Westpac Bank will open on the day to safey count and bank the collected donations.
The fair attracts thousands of people every year, so if you're planning on going, please leave your car at home - parking will be very limited.
There's bus diversions on that day as well, so if you're taking the bus to the festival, make sure you get off just before Riddiford Street where the majority of closures take place.
The fair is on from 10.00am until about 7.00pm.
The following roads will be closed from 6.00am - 8.00pm on
Sunday 6 March:
- Riddiford Street between Mein Street and a point just south of Donald McLean Street
- Rintoul Street between Riddiford Street and Colombo Street
- Constable Street between Riddiford Street and Daniell Street
- Emmett Street
- Green Street
- Wilson Street until about 80 m east off Riddiford Street. Please note - this closure will last until 9.30pm
- Newtown Avenue until about 80 m east off Riddiford Street
- Normanby Street until about 80 m east off Riddiford Street
- Donald McLean Street until about 5 m east off Riddiford Street.
There'll be no parking available on these and some surrounding streets from 6.00am to 8.00pm. A one-way system for bus services and all other traffic will be available through Mein, Daniell and Owen streets.
For more information, go to:
Newtown Festival website