This wonderful opportunity comes from Wellington's sister-city link with Sakai, one of the host cities of this major running event.
The successful applicant will travel free to Japan on Friday 18 February 2011, stay three nights in a hotel and three nights in a Japanese homestay, and return to New Zealand on Thursday 24 February 2011. The marathon will take place on Sunday 20 February 2011.
Nelson Sheridan, the Council's International Relations Strategy Advisor, says this is a great opportunity for a Wellington marathon runner to represent our city in an international event.
"It's not every day that opportunities like this come along, and we are grateful to Sakai for the kind gesture."
To enter you must:
- have completed marathons
- be a Wellington City resident
- be over 18 years old
- be a regular runner, fit and in training
- be able to run a mostly flat course marathon in winter conditions in four hours or less
- be very keen and able to be an ambassador for Wellington City
- be very interested in embracing, contributing to and participating in the Wellington - Sakai sister city relationship while in Sakai and after you return home.
The deadline for entry in the competition is Tuesday 9 November 2010. Six finalists will be selected from the pool of applicants. Wellington's Mayor will choose the winner from a hat live on Newstalk ZB between 7.00am and 9.00am on Saturday 13 November 2010.
Application forms can be picked up at Council service centres, libraries, swimming pools, recreation centres, Newstalk ZB, Sport Wellington, Japanese Information and Cultural Centre and sports shops and gyms / fitness centres throughout the city, or by phoning Bev Hodge on (04) 232 3246.