Six People to Contest Wellington City Mayoralty
20 August 2010
Eighty-six nominations have been received for the upcoming Wellington City Council, community board and Capital & Coast District Health Board elections to be held on Saturday 9 October. Of these, six people are contesting the mayoralty.
The deadline for nominations closed at 12 noon today with:
- 6 nominations for Mayor
- 44 nominations for Councillor
- 21 nominations for the Capital & Coast District Health Board
- 15 nominations for community boards.
Wellington City Council's Electoral Officer, Ross Bly, says the overall number of nominations exactly matches those of 2007, despite fewer candidates contesting the mayoralty.
"The situation we've got is that more people are standing for Councillor this year than in the previous election," says Ross. "The Eastern, Southern and Lambton Wards have high candidate numbers - 11, 10 and 9 respectively."
Comparisons with the 2007 elections:
- 11 nominations for Mayor
- 38 nominations for Councillor
- 21 nominations for Capital & Coast District Health Board
- 16 nominations for community boards