For Saturday's match, Wellington City Council is trialling several road closures and traffic management measures aimed at improving pedestrian safety.
The measures will be in place before and after the match for relatively short periods.
For ticketholders, the biggest changes will be no pick-up or drop-off at the Stadium and its car park, northbound on Waterloo Quay next to the Stadium or at the Railway Station's Platform 9.
Access for buses, vehicles paying for Stadium car parks and those displaying Stadium disability passes will be unaffected by the changes. The drop-off/pick-up area for southbound traffic on Waterloo Quay slightly north of the CentrePort entrance will also be unaffected.
Ticketholders should arrive at the match early, preferably leaving the car at home. Non-essential travel through the area may be best deferred.
The Council's Director of City Events and Rugby World Cup 2011, Derek Fry, says the additional measures build on Westpac Stadium's proven track record in traffic and pedestrian management for major events.
"We need to maintain that reputation, especially with Rugby World Cup 2011, with its unique demands of seven major match events over four weeks, and the eyes of the world on us, rapidly approaching."
After the match, Thorndon Quay and adjoining streets will be closed to make more room for fans leaving the Stadium.
"I'm sure that anyone who's been to a big event at the Stadium and walked down the walkway spiral knows what a great deal of pressure the large crowd can place on the surrounding roads. We've done a good job addressing that in the past but believe we can make it even safer for pedestrians and make things run even more smoothly," says Derek.
The affected roads are as follows:
Pre-match 6.00pm - 7.30pm
- Bunny Street, north side lane/s only, from Featherston Street to Waterloo Quay.
Post-match, closures are for around one hour between 8.30pm and 10.30pm
- Murphy Street off-ramp from State Highway 1.
- Mulgrave Street, from Aitken Street to the intersection of Featherston Street and Thorndon Quay.
- Thorndon Quay, from Davis Street to Featherston Street/the Mulgrave Street intersection - local access only.
- Featherston Street, from Thorndon Quay up to and including the intersection of Stout and Bunny streets.
- Stout Street, at its intersection with Bunny Street.
- Bunny Street, north side lane/s only, from Featherston Street to Waterloo Quay - the left lane turn from Bunny Street into Featherston Street remains open.
The following roads may be managed for traffic and pedestrian safety by using lane closures, marshalled access and/or parking restrictions:
- Waterloo Quay (western side, from Whitmore Street to Bunny Street)
- Stout Street (access from Whitmore Street).
Event marshals and Police will be on-hand to direct traffic, and electronic and other signs will also be used. Emergency vehicles will have access at all times and bus services will be operating through the area - users should refer to www.metlink.org.nz for details.
Detailed information is available at:
Temporary Road Closures Subcommittee - 23.06.10 - Report One (1.45Mb PDF)
Wellington City Council's contact centre can also answer questions about the road closures - call (04) 499 4444.