The vacancy on the eight-member board follows the recent death of longstanding board member Graeme Sutton.
The Board has six elected members and two appointed members - both City Councillors from the local Northern Ward.
Wellington City Electoral Officer Ross Bly says he has handed out eight sets of nomination documents to prospective candidates in the past two weeks – but no-one has yet made the commitment to put his or her name forward for election.
Nominations for the vacancy must be in the hands of Mr Bly by
12 noon on Friday 2 October. If more than one nomination is received then a by-election will be held on Saturday 21 November. The election will be held by postal vote under the single transferable voting (STV) electoral system.
Mr Bly says prospective candidates shouldn't leave their decision to run too late. "If the nomination papers come in after midday next Friday then I won't be able to accept them."
Candidates must be nominated on the official nomination paper, copies of which are obtainable from the reception desk, Wellington City Council Offices, 101 Wakefield Street, or from Mr Bly (phone (04) 801 3484). The nomination paper must be accompanied by a deposit of $200.
Candidates may submit a profile statement and a recent photograph with their nomination paper. An attachment to the nomination paper outlines the rules and procedures governing the candidate profile statement. A copy of these documents will be sent out to electors with their voting documents.
Preliminary Electoral Roll Now Available for Inspection
A copy of the Preliminary Residential and Ratepayer Electoral Roll to be used for the by-election is now available for inspection at the following locations, during normal office hours:
- City Service Centre, Wellington City Council Offices, 101 Wakefield Street
- Johnsonville PostShop (28 Johnsonville Road) and Take Note
(181 Main Road, Tawa)
- Central Library (65 Victoria Street), Johnsonville Library
(5 Broderick Road) and Mervyn Kemp Library (corner Cambridge Street and Main Road, Tawa)
- Tawa Community Centre, 5 Cambridge Street, Tawa
The preliminary roll closes at 5.00pm on Friday 2 October.
People may enrol or amend their enrolment details by:
- completing the appropriate form available at any of the above locations or at any PostShop and returning it to the Registrar of Electors for the Ohariu or Mana Electorates prior to the roll closing
- accessing the Electoral Enrolment Centre (EEC) website
- telephoning 0800 ENROLNOW (0800 367656).