Free Health Checks in Wellington's Southern Communities
24 September 2009
Free health checks will be on offer next month at the Bringing Health 2 U health expos for Wellington City Council housing tenants and other local residents who'd like a bit of a health spring-clean.
The expos are a collaboration between health agencies and Wellington City Council and will offer free health checks, information on early childcare, fun and activities. There will be a day each at the Arlington Apartments, Rintoul Street Villas and Newtown Street Flats.
The Council's Social Portfolio Leader, Councillor Ngaire Best, says this is the first time there has been a rolling roadshow on this scale. "We've decided to get together and offer health expos to make it easy for families to look after their well-being and get access to expert advice."
"There will be a focus on education and health for preschoolers, and people can stay all day because there'll be entertainment, food and spot prizes. The expos will run rain or shine, and they'll be a great chance for tenants to meet other families in their communities - and vice versa."
The Bringing Health 2 U health expos are as follows:
- 10.00am - 3.00pm, Tuesday 6 October at Newtown Park Flats,
320 Mansfield St, Newtown
- 10.00am - 3.00pm, Wednesday 7 October at Arlington Apartments, Mt Cook
- 8.00am - 3.00pm, Thursday 8 October at Rintoul Street Villas, Newtown.
The health expos are a collaborative partnership between:
- Wellington City Council
- Regional Public Health Nursing Initiative
- National Heart Foundation
- Wellington South Nursing Initiative
- Pacific Health Services Wellington
- South East and City Primary Health Organisation
- Capital Primary Health Organisation
- Newtown Health Union
- Super Grans.