Avoid Eastern Suburbs During Round the Bays
13 February 2009
Motorists heading to and from the airport and eastern suburbs this Sunday (15.02.09) should avoid the Mt Victoria tunnel route and instead head through Newtown or around the South Coast during the annual Round the Bays fun run.
More than 11,000 Wellingtonians are expected to take part in the Pelorus Trust Round the Bays Fun Run and the inaugural New Balance Half-Marathon.
The 7km fun run starts at Frank Kitts Park at 9.20am (runners) and 9.30am (walkers) before heading along Oriental Parade and Evans Bay Parade. The half marathon starts at 8.45am and follows the same course before heading onto Shelly Bay Road, turning approximately 700m north of Scorching Bay.
Wellington City Council Events Project Coordinator Rebecca Hardie says motorists will not be able to get into Hataitai from Taurima Street at the eastern end of the Mt Victoria Tunnel, or Goa Street from Ruahine Street. Access to Moxham Avenue from Wellington Road will be closed from 9.00am to 11.30am. These closures are to allow a hassle-free run for buses taking event participants back into the city.
"Motorists should allow more than one hour extra travelling time to get to the airport from 8.00am Sunday morning until early Sunday afternoon. Traffic heading to and from the airport and Miramar will be diverted along Kilbirnie Crescent. Delays are expected in these areas. I suggest people stay away from these areas or take alternative routes to the airport through Newtown or the South Coast."
- Customhouse Quay - 7.00am to 11.00am
- Jervois Quay - southbound lanes and lane three, northbound - 7.00am to 11.00am
- Cable Street - left-hand lane closed 7.00am to 11.00am
- Oriental Parade - 8.35am to 11.00am
- Evans Bay Parade - 8.35am to 11.30am
- Intersections of all roads linking to Oriental Parade and Evans Bay Parade will be closed 8.35am to 11.30am.
- No entry into Hataitai from Taurima Street (eastern end of the Mt Victoria tunnel) - 9.00am to 11.30am.
- No entry into Goa Street from Ruahine Street - 9.00am to 11.30am.
- No entry or exit into Moxham Avenue from Wellington Road - 9.00am to 11.30am.
- Cobham Drive (Troy Street roundabout to Wellington Road) - closed 9.00am to 11.30am.
- No exit from Kemp Street onto Evans Bay Parade - 9.00am to 11.30am.
- Wellington Road (Cobham Drive to Kilbirnie Crescent/Hamilton Road intersection) - closed 9.00am to 11.30am.
- Wellington Road (Crawford Road roundabout to Ruahine Street) - closed 9.00am to 11.30am.
- Traffic heading to and from the airport and Miramar will be diverted along Kilbirnie Crescent - expect delays.
Shelly Bay Road and Massey Road
- The seaward lane of Shelly Bay Road and Massey Road (Miramar Avenue to Scorching Bay) closed 9.00am to 11.30am.
- Jervois Quay - from 12 midnight to 11.00am.
- Cable Street - 12 midnight to 11.00am.
- Evans Bay Parade (Cobham Drive to Kemp Street) - 12 midnight to 11.30am.
- Kilbirnie Crescent – eastern side - 12 midnight to 11.30am.