It’s important that everyone can have a say on how our city is run. Wellington City Youth Council provides an opportunity for young peoples’ voices to be heard.
Youth Council is actively recruiting new members in June 2019. Do you have what it takes to speak up for young people in Wellington?
What is Wellington City Youth Council?
Wellington City Youth Council is an advisory group established by the Wellington City Council. Our core functions are to:
- Advise Council staff and elected members on how Wellington can be a place where young people thrive.
- Provide Council staff and elected members with a youth perspective on plans, policies and proposals.
- Engage with young people who live, work, study, and play in Wellington City to ensure a range of views are heard.
- Build Council’s knowledge of the needs of young people in Wellington.
- Develop our members so they can contribute at the best of their ability.
Youth Council meets fortnightly on Wednesdays from 4pm–5:30pm to hear presentations from Council staff and discuss issues relevant to young people.
Who can join?
Who can join?
To join Youth Council you must:
- Be aged between 14 and 24.
- Live within the Wellington City boundaries.
- Be able to work with other people in a team.
- Be proactive and committed to attend regular meetings.
We have openings for a range of new members and are keen to recruit a range of views that reflects the diversity of young people in Wellington. No matter if you’re at high school, university, or polytech, in employment or an apprenticeship, or doing anything else, we’d love to hear from anyone who wants to make a positive difference in their communities.
This sounds like me! How do I sign up?
Applying to join Youth Council is easy. You need to do one simple thing:
(A CV, or curriculum vitae, will help us get to know you at a glance. If you’ve never written a CV before, there is a helpful guide available on the Careers New Zealand website.)
Applications will be received between Wednesday 5 June at 9am and Monday 1 July at 9am.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed in late July 2019 and successful candidates will be invited to attend meetings beginning Wednesday 15 August 2019.
I need more information.
If you’re thinking of applying, but would like to know more, please email Youth.Council@wcc.govt.nz with any questions you may have. Someone will be in touch soon.
You can also come along to a Youth Council meeting on Wednesday 5 June and/or Wednesday 19 June to meet current members and see what happens in a meeting.
Finally, the Youth Council terms of reference explain what the Youth Council does, what is expected of you, and what you can expect from Wellington City Council.
Youth Council terms of reference (78KB PDF) | Text version (17KB RTF)
Youth Council contacts
Jessie Johnson-Smith, Democracy Advisor
Shine Wu, Youth Council Chair