The purpose of the Porirua Harbour and Catchment Joint Committee (Harbour Committee) is to oversee the development, monitoring, review and implementation of the Porirua Harbour and Catchment Strategy (Harbour Strategy): Full Terms of Reference (44KB PDF)
The Porirua Harbour and Catchment Joint Committee shall have responsibility for
- Porirua Harbour and Catchment Strategy - monitoring and review: Overseeing the monitoring and review of the Porirua Harbour and Catchment Strategy and its supporting Action Plan programme.
- Monitoring and reporting to Porirua City, Wellington City and Greater Wellington Regional Council on:
- Progress toward achieving outcomes specified within the Harbour Strategy
- Implementation, delivery and effectiveness of agreed programmes and initiatives
- Effectiveness and efficiency of interagency coordination in developing and delivering effective and efficient Harbour Strategy programmes, including options and recommendations for council consideration
- Issues arising concerning harbour and catchment health, and related options and recommendations for council consideration.
- Strategy Implementation modifications and refinements: Providing recommendations on programmes and actions (including modifications or refinements to existing or approved programmes) and related funding and timing
matters that are required to support and/or give effect to the Harbour Strategy.
- Requesting reports from Porirua City, Wellington City and/or Greater Wellington Regional Council, as appropriate, on projects and programmes that affect the Harbour, including projects and programmes run by Council Controlled
Organisations and other business delivery units of the member organisations of the Committee.
- Representing the interests of its members in the Harbour Strategy.
The Harbour Committee shall have the following delegated powers and be jointly accountable to its Authorising Bodies (Porirua City Council, Greater Wellington Regional Council and Wellington City Council) for the exercising of these powers.
In exercising the delegated powers, the Harbour Committee will
operate having regard to the overall priorities of its Authorising Bodies
- operate within policies, plans, standards or guidelines that have been established and approved by its Authorising Bodies
- operate having regard to the needs of local communities
- operate within approved budgets set by its Authorising Bodies.
The Harbour Committee shall have delegated authority to
- recommend to its Authorising Bodies an annual programme, and proposed budget, for consideration in the development of any annual and/or long term plan;
- recommend to its Authorising Bodies any significant changes in budget or scope of any approved annual programme;
- recommend organisational contribution toward strategy implementation, including timing, budget, and delivery specifications.
The Chairperson of the Harbour Committee shall have delegated authority to
- represent the Committee to the media on matters related to the Harbour Strategy.
Members of the Committee shall have delegated authority to:
- represent their Authorising Body in discussions with other agencies on Harbour Strategy delivery
- represent their Authorising Body on matters relating to the Harbour Strategy to the media.
Committee members are:
- Councillors Anita Baker (Chair) and Kylie Wihapi – Porirua City Council
- Councillor Peter Gilberd – Wellington City Council
- Barbara Donaldson – Greater Wellington Regional Council
- Sharli-Jo Solomon – Ngāti Toa
Committee minutes and administration
Porirua City Council is responsible for the the committee's administration, with meetings held in their Council Chambers. Meeting minutes can be found their website.
Meetings Search - Porirua City Council