How to vote

Wellington City Council elections will be held on Saturday 12 October 2019.

The elections are your chance to have a say in decisions the Council makes that affect you by voting for who you’d like to represent you and the ward you live in.

Voting is easy. If you’re enrolled on the Wellington City electoral roll, check your mailbox for your voting forms between 20 and 25 September. Complete your voting forms and return them:

  • in the freepost envelope via any New Zealand Post box (we recommend posting before Tuesday 8 October)
  • to the electoral office at the Arapaki Manners Library and Service Centre at 12 Manners Street, Wellington
  • to any Wellington City Library (find your nearest library in our branches)
  • to the Newlands Community Centre or Linden Social Centre.

Make your vote count by returning it to us before 12 noon on Election Day, Saturday 12 October.

Enrol on the electoral roll

To receive the voting forms, you need to enrol on the Wellington City electoral roll by 16 August. 

You can check if you’re enrolled at VOTE NZ.

Special voting

You can apply for a special vote from 20 September to midday 12 October by either going to the Arapaki Manners Library and Service Centre in Manners Street or phoning the Council on 499 4444 and asking for the special voting forms to be sent to you in the post.

You may be eligible for a special vote if:

  • You didn’t receive your voting forms in your letterbox
  • You’ve lost or damaged your voting forms
  • Your name is not included on the printed roll used for the election
  • You are on the unpublished (confidential) electoral roll
  • Your address on the electoral roll is out of date and you’ve been living at a new address in a different ward for one month or more.

STV voting

Voting for the Wellington City Council elections is done via the STV method, where voters rank candidates in order of preference. You can rank as many or as few candidates as you wish. More information on how STV works can be found on our webpage Electoral systems.

Who you can vote for

Mayor and Council

No matter where in Wellington you live, you can vote for the city’s next Mayor and for your local ward councillors. 

You can learn more about the candidates for Wellington City Council under nominated candidates.

Other elections

As well as voting for Wellington City Council, electors in Wellington City are also eligible to vote for:

  • Capital and Coast District Health Board
  • Greater Wellington Regional Council

Location-specific elections

Depending on where you live, you may also vote for:

  • Hutt Mana Charitable Trust
  • Makara-Ohariu Community Board
  • Tawa Community Board.

Voting from overseas

If you are overseas during the entire voting period and would like to vote, we may be able to arrange for special voting forms to be posted to your overseas address. You will need to post your vote back to reach the Electoral Officer by midday on 12 October 2019 and pay the return postage.

We are unable to supply or receive voting documents electronically.

To apply for a special vote, please email with:

  • your full names and residential address (so we can identify you on the electoral roll)
  • a postal address overseas where you can receive your voting papers.

Assisted special voting

Special provision has been made for people who need help to vote in the election. Anyone who requires help, such as those who are blind or vision impaired, or who have difficulty enrolling to vote or reading and casting their vote, can come to the Arapaki Manners Library and Service Centre and get help from trained advisors.

More information

Deputy Electoral Officer
Phone: 04 499 4444