How to enrol
Are you passionate about Wellington and want to have a say in the way the city moves ahead? Make sure you're enrolled to vote by 16 August so you can take part in the 2019 local elections.
I am a Wellington City resident
You can enrol on the residential roll if you:
- are 18 years of age or older, and
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
- have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more, and
- have lived at your current address for more than 1 month.
If you have already registered to be on the parliamentary (electoral) roll, you are automatically enrolled on the local authority residential roll at the address where you live. If you have recently moved, make sure you check and update your details.
You do not have to be a ratepayer to qualify for enrolment on the residential roll.
Enrol on the residential roll or check your enrolment details
I am a Wellington City ratepayer who lives elsewhere
You can enrol on the ratepayer roll if you:
- are a registered parliamentary elector and a non-resident ratepayer who has applied for enrolment on the ratepayer roll, or
- live outside of Wellington City and have been nominated by a firm, company, corporation or society paying rates on a property in Wellington City.
To check if you are eligible to enrol on the ratepayer roll, read the Flowchart Showing Ratepayer Enrolment Entitlements.
Flowchart Showing Ratepayer Enrolment Entitlements (223KB PDF)
If you are eligible to enrol on the ratepayer roll you can download the Enrolment Form for Ratepayer Electors, or pick one up from a Council library or our Service Centre. You will need to fill it in and return it before 16 August 2019.
Completed forms can be:
- emailed to email@example.com
- posted to Ratepayer Elector Enrolments, PO Box 3138, Christchurch 8140.
Enrolment Form for Ratepayer Electors (88KB PDF)
If you are still unsure about how to enrol, or if you want to change your details on the residential or ratepayer roll, contact the Electoral Commission.