How to enrol

It’s not too late! Enrol to vote by Friday 11 October to take part in the 2019 Local Body Elections and have your say on the future of Wellington.

Enrolling to vote

You can enrol to vote or update your details on the electoral roll until the day before the election – Friday 11 October 2019. There are two electoral rolls for this election:

Special voting

If you enrol to vote or change your details after Friday 16 August, you will not receive your voting documents in your mailbox. You will need to apply for a special vote.

To apply for a special vote, phone us on (04) 499 4444, email or visit the Arapaki Manners Library and Service Centre.

I am a Wellington City resident

You can enrol on the residential roll if you:

  • are 18 years of age or older, and
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
  • have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more, and
  • have lived at your current address for more than 1 month.

If you have already registered to be on the parliamentary (electoral) roll, you are automatically enrolled on the local authority residential roll at the address where you live. If you have recently moved, make sure you check and update your details.

You do not have to be a ratepayer to qualify for enrolment on the residential roll.

Residential roll enrolments are managed by the Electoral Commission. To enrol to vote:

I am a Wellington City ratepayer who lives elsewhere

You can enrol on the ratepayer roll if you:

  • are a registered parliamentary elector and Wellington City ratepayer, but live in another city, town or district, or
  • live outside of Wellington City and have been nominated by a firm, company, corporation or society paying rates on a property in Wellington City.

To check if you are eligible to enrol on the ratepayer roll, read the Flowchart Showing Ratepayer Enrolment Entitlements.
Flowchart Showing Ratepayer Enrolment Entitlements (223KB PDF)

If you are eligible to enrol on the ratepayer roll you can download the Enrolment Form for Ratepayer Electors. You will need to fill it in and return it before 16 August 2019.

Completed forms can be:

Need help?

If you are still unsure about how to enrol, or if you want to change your details on the residential or ratepayer roll, contact the Electoral Commission.