Make sure you are enrolled by the 7th of October to take part in the 2016 Local Body Elections.

If you have moved house, recently turned 18 or are not enrolled to vote it is not too late. Contact or visit the Wellington City Council Electoral Office at 101 Wakefield Street for help with enrolment and to obtain a Special Vote.

Electoral Commission logo showing an orange figure with a hand-posting-a-vote sign on its chest, and the words 'Enrol, Check and Update'.

Are you enrolled to vote?

Make sure you have enrolled to vote or have checked your details are up to date. For more information, see How to enrol

Who can vote

To vote in a local body election, you need to be enrolled on either the residential or ratepayer electoral role.

Residential roll

You are eligible to enrol on the residential roll if you:

  • are 18 years of age or older, and
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
  • have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more, and
  • have lived at your current address for more than 1 month.

Ratepayer roll

You are eligible to enrol on the ratepayer roll if you are:

  • a registered parliamentary elector 
  • a non-resident ratepayer who has applied for enrolment on the ratepayer roll.


  • you are resident outside of Wellington city and have been nominated by a firm, company, corporation or society paying rates on a property in Wellington city.

Other scenarios where you are eligible to enrol on the ratepayer roll

  • If you are enrolled on the parliamentary roll in one local authority area and pay rates on a property in another, you may be eligible to apply for enrolment on the ratepayer roll (for the local authority area in which you pay rates but don't reside).
  • Companies, organisations or societies paying rates on a property may nominate one of its members or officers as a ratepayer elector (provided that both the person nominating and the nominee live outside the local authority area).

For more information on whether you are eligible to enrol on the ratepayer roll, see: Flowchart Showing Ratepayer Enrolment Entitlements (25KB PDF)

If you are still unsure whether you qualify, contact the Council's Electoral Officer on 04 499 4444, or call Election Services on 0508 08 10 16 (toll free) before 12 noon on 12 August 2016.

How to enrol

Residential roll

To enrol on the residential roll, visit: Enrolment Application - Elections NZ

If you have already registered on the parliamentary roll, you are automatically enrolled on the residential roll at the address where you live.
You do not have to be a ratepayer to qualify to enrol on the residential roll.

Not sure of your residential roll enrolment details? Check or update your details - Elections NZ

Ratepayer roll

You can enrol on the ratepayer roll by completing and returning this form:
Enrolment Form for Ratepayer Electors (147KB PDF)

You can also pick up ratepayer enrolment forms at the Council libraries, and from the Council at 101 Wakefield Street.

To change your details on the ratepayer roll and for more information, contact:

Deputy Electoral Officer, Wellington City Council

Phone 04 499 4444
Email election@wcc.govt.nz
Postal Address PO Box 2199, Wellington
Street Address 101 Wakefield Street, Wellington