Me pēhea e tū ai
How to stand

Candidate nominations open on 15 July and close at noon on 12 August.

Stand as a candidate and put forward your ideas for Wellington City’s future! Help shape your city, work with your community, and represent Wellingtonians. You could be the Mayor, a Councillor, or a Community Board Member.

The Council is governed by 16 elected members who represent the city’s residents and ratepayers. Every 3 years, voters from the City’s six wards elect 15 councillors. The mayor is elected by the whole city. Residents in Tawa and in Mākara/Ōhāriu also vote to elect six members to their local community boards. 

How could you make a difference? 

As an elected member, you get to voice the opinions of your community and plan Wellington’s future. More information on the contributions and skills of elected officials is here

Are you eligible to stand? 

You can stand for Council if you are a New Zealand citizen, aged over 18, and enrolled to vote. 

What you need to do 

Complete and submit a nomination form. Forms will be available here during the nomination period between 15 July 2022 and 12 noon 12 August 2022.  

You’ll need to be nominated by two people whose names appear on the electoral roll within the area you are standing in. You don’t need to live in the area that you are standing for.  

If you’re standing in Te Whanganui-a-Tara Māori Ward, you will need to be nominated by two people who are on the Māori roll and live in Wellington City. You don’t need to be of Māori descent or on the Māori roll to stand in the Māori ward. 

There’s a deposit of $200 including GST to lodge a nomination for each position you are standing for. The funds must be paid at the same time your nomination is lodged. If you receive more than 25% of the votes of the lowest polling successful candidate in your election, then you will get this deposit back.  When you lodge your nomination you can optionally provide a recent photo and 150-word candidate profile statement that will be sent out with voting papers. 

Nomination forms 

There are separate nomination forms for mayor, councillor, and community board member: 

When you submit your nomination please also submit: 

  • Proof of $200 deposit (details on nomination form) 
  • A 150-word candidate profile statement (optional) 
  • A recent (within 12 months) photo (optional) 
  • Proof of citizenship 

You can submit your documents: 

  • Via email at
  • In person at the Council head office Level 16, 113 The Terrace, Wellington CBD 

For detailed information about submitting your nomination, please see pages 18 to 21 of the Candidate Handbook 2022.

Candidate profile statements will be translated into accessible languages and formats. Some of these will require interpretation, and the exact words may differ from the original statement. Please advise the Electoral Officer when submitting your nomination form if you do not consent to having your candidate profile statement translated. 

Some extra things to note 

  • You cannot stand for election to both the Wellington City Council (as Mayor, Councillor or Community Board member) and the Greater Wellington Regional Council. 
  • You cannot stand for election to more than one ward or constituency of the same authority. This includes the new Te Whanganui-a-tara Māori Ward.
  • You cannot have concerns or interests in contracts over $25,000 with the Council. However, this may be waived if, before standing, you get approval from the Office of the Auditor-General. 
  • If you work at Wellington City Council and are considering standing for election, you might be required to take leave of absence.  
  • If you work at Wellington City Council and are elected as the Mayor or a Councillor, you must resign as an employee before taking up the position as an elected member. However, this may not apply if you are elected to a community board. 
  • If you wish to stand for the Hutt Mana Charitable Trust, your nomination form must be returned to the Hutt City Council electoral office at 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt or by email to
  • To be affiliated with a specific party, you will require authorisation to adopt the affiliation from the party concerned. Affiliation with a political party is not required to stand. 
  • If you want to report the behaviour of another candidate, please email or phone 04 499 4444. 

Need help?  

Deputy Electoral Officer 
Phone: 04 499 4444