Drainage or plumbing work under $5,000

Small drainage or plumbing projects need a minor works building consent.

1. Get a building consent

You must have a building consent before you do plumbing or drainage work that will create any new sanitary fixtures.

This includes:

  • digging new drains
  • installing a tiled shower
  • installing any new shower or toilet in an existing bathroom or laundry where a shower or toilet wasn't there before.

What you can do without a building consent

How to apply

The process to apply is the same as a regular building consent, but fewer fees apply.

Supporting documents required for your application

Applying for a building consent

What it costs

$307.50 – this includes the plan check fee, code compliance fee and 1.75 hours of inspection time.

There's an additional $51.75 fee if you apply online.

Building consent fees

2. Hire a registered plumber or drainlayer

Plumbing and drainlaying work must be done or supervised by a registered plumber or drainlayer.

Your plumber or drainlayer may also be able to help you submit your building consent application.

Plumbers, gasfitters and drainlayers register

Hiring professionals

3. Book the inspections

The inspections you need will be listed in your building consent approval letter.

The fee for minor residential plumbing or drainage works covers a maximum of 1.75 hours of inspection time.

You will receive an invoice if any additional hours are required. This must be paid before your code compliance certificate is issued.

Building inspections

4. Apply for your code compliance certificate

Once the work has passed its final inspection, you need to apply for a code compliance certificate.

This certifies that the work is safe and complies with the building consent.

Applying for your code compliance certificate

Need help?

The Building Compliance and Consents team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Building Compliance and Consents
Phone: 04 801 4311
Email: bcc@wcc.govt.nz