If you bring to the landfill both hazardous waste and other waste for disposal, you will need to make two trips through the weighbridge so that staff can calculate the correct charges.
The following hazardous items are accepted free of charge. Sort these items from your general rubbish:
- Batteries - Domestic batteries and used car batteries
- Garden pesticide and weed killer
- Domestic cleaning products and furniture polish
- Lights – CFL power-saving lightbulbs and other fluorescent lamps contain mercury (we accept 20 per household waste – wrap them in newspaper or in their original packaging)
- Paint and paint thinner
- Paint tins
- Petrol, diesel and oil
- Pool chemicals
- Used propane gas tanks
- Smoke alarms (notify landfill staff)
- Varnish and lacquer
Protect the environment
Never put paint, solvents or liquid waste into stormwater drains. The stormwater system flows without treatment into streams and the sea. These liquids poison marine and freshwater creatures, destroy habitats and disrupt ecosystems.