Unsuitable for collection

Fines of up to $400 can apply if you leave out rubbish which is unsuitable for collection.

The Council will collect rubbish that is suitable for collection and in our official rubbish bags.

Large amounts of rubbish

If you have large amounts of rubbish that would not be suitable for the Council's official rubbish bags:

Private waste collectors

Transpacific AllBrite Limited
Phone: 04 568 5521

Full Circle
Phone:  0800 732 925

Garden waste

Take green waste (such as grass clippings, hedge trimmings, small logs and soil) to the Southern Landfill for composting, or compost it at home.

Hazardous waste

Take household hazardous waste products to the hazardous waste store at the Southern Landfill. For more information on the types of hazardous waste that is accepted at the landfill, see:


Under the Waste Management Bylaw fines of up to $400 can apply if you:

  • leave rubbish out for collection that is not in an official Wellington City Council rubbish bag
  • do not remove any rubbish which Council staff have left behind because it is unsuitable for collection.

Report people who dump rubbish

Report people who dump rubbish on the side of the road, by streams, on beaches or in our parks and reserves. This pollutes our environment and harms wildlife.

Let us know via our Contact Centre.