Recycling wheelie bins overview
Place paper, tins and cans, and accepted plastic in wheelie bins.
- flatten boxes and put loosely into the wheelie bin as jammed cardboard will stop your bin being emptied.
- close the lid of your wheelie bin and attach the wheelie bin clip so it doesn't fill with rain water and your recycling doesn't get blown away.
Weight limits for collection
- The maximum weight of your wheelie bin when full should not exceed 20kg. This includes 5kg for the bin and 15kg for the contents.
How do I get a wheelie bin?
Wellington City Council has a list of houses that are entitled to wheelie bins and wheelie bin clips, These have been allocated to each property and should be there when you move in. Every Council wheelie bin has an address sticker, and an individual serial number heat stamped into it. The Council has recorded the serial number against the address the bin is issued to.
Note: Do not take the wheelie bin or clip with you when you move properties.
Criteria for getting a wheelie bin
Before calling us to find out if your property is entitled to a wheelie bin you may want to view the criteria for assessment for recycling wheelie bins.
View assessment criteria for recycling wheelie bins
Criteria for assessment of recycling wheelie bins includes the following, and if any apply, a wheelie bin will not be permitted:
- Vehicles parked parallel to footpath which will impede wheelie bin access from the trucks.
- Extreme wind exposure.
- Corner properties which will be unsafe for traffic to pass and cause unnecessary traffic to build up.
- One way streets as our collections are from the left-hand side. The driver is not allowed to crisscross the road.
- Steep streets with more than 14 percent gradient that will not allow bins to be left safely before and after collections.
- There is no access from the road, or yellow lines would prevent trucks to stop in the area to collect.
- There is NO kerbside (footpath), or footpath is too narrow and not enough space for the safe placement of a wheelie bin.
- There is high volumes of traffic flow which creates safety and traffic issues for stopping trucks.
- Multi-unit complexes/dwellings – this applies to apartment buildings.
- High and low level footpaths which are not accessible by the truck.
- Difficult truck access due to road camber, width, growth or corners. There is not enough space at the end of the street/road for the truck to safely make a turn.
- All private roads, and shared driveways that are not safe and accessible by trucks.
- Narrow roads – ie our current farm run where smaller trucks or Utes are used.
- Businesses and anywhere in the CBD.
Properties that are not entitled to a wheelie bin will receive a yearly delivery of 52 recycling bags. These start arriving on your doorstep from early April each year.
If you feel the size of the recycling bins are inadequate for your needs, please contact us at 04 499 4444 and we can assist in finding a solution for you.
Wheelie bin recycling guide lid stickers
A limited stock of updated (July 2020) wheelie bin lid stickers will be available at Newtown, Kilbirnie, Johnsonville and Tawa libraries and the Arapaki Service Centre, or by calling our Contact Centre on 04 499 4444. Please note, there is currently no recyclable option for the adhesive backing paper available in New Zealand.
Replacing a lost, stolen or missing wheelie bin
You can get a replacement recycling wheelie bin and clip if yours is lost or stolen. There is a service fee that covers the costs of replacing and delivering the bins.
- Wheelie bin replacement service fee $80
- Wheelie bin clip replacement fee $11.95 (must be bought directly from SafeWaste.co.nz)
The wheelie bin replacement service fee can be paid at Arapaki Manners Library and Service Centre.
Alternatively, you can pay online. When making payment please don't leave the reference field blank. If you don't have an account number or invoice number please quote the following:
- Wheelie bin enquiry number or actual address to ANZ account: 06 0582 0106111 00
We need to get payment before we can deliver the bin (a receipt will be given over the counter or posted to you). Keep your receipt for any future queries. When payment has cleared, we'll deliver a wheelie bin and wheelie bin clip in seven working days.
Any questions, please contact the team on (04) 499 4444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Background on wheelie bin clips
This initiative is part of Council’s Long-term Plan 2018-28 commitment to protect and enhance Wellington’s natural environment. Residents with a recycling wheelie bin were provided with one free wheelie bin clip per household from late November–December 2018. Anybody ordering a recycling wheelie bin after the initial distribution, we will receive a wheelie bin clip, recycling calendar and brochure.
Council supplies the first wheelie bin clips free to residents who qualify for a recycling wheelie bin.
If you require another one, you can buy one directly from SafeWaste at safewaste.co.nz The delivery of the product within New Zealand is free.
- $11.95 including GST (price as at 19 October 2018).
The purchase and distribution of the wheelie bin clips is not funded by rates. Like kerbside rubbish and recycling collections, this is funded through landfill surpluses and the sale of yellow rubbish bags.
Broken clips, lost clips and theft
The wheelie bin clip is exceptionally durable, and has a 10-year warranty from the manufacturer.
If it breaks within the warranty period, please inform Wellington City Council on 04 499 4444, and we will request a replacement on your behalf – as long as the breakage is within the terms of the warranty.
The standard warranty excludes damage through negligence, exposure to abrasive chemicals, improper installation and usage, and damage by animals or pets. For details please see the Safewaste warranty (200KB PDF).
Installing your recycling wheelie bin and clip
As well as the installation video below, we’ve printed installation instructions on the packaging. Please don't put two clips on the recycling wheelie bin as it is a health and safety hazard for our collection team.