Documents to support your encroachment licence application

A list of the documentation you need when you apply for an encroachment licence.

To support your application for an encroachment licence, and before any digging or works can take place on road reserve, you must obtain the following documentation:

1. Request comments from service authorities

Obtain comments from the relevant service authorities by registering on

  • The service authorities will specify any requirements for the work on the site. Their approval is critical to prevent potential fatal risk to peope or expensive damage to infrastructure.
  • If the comments you receive from service authorities are in emails, you may want to save the emails as PDFs and then upload them to the application form.

2. Engage a private cable locator

You may need to engage a private cable locator to identify and mark out any cables and services in the area of your proposed encroachment. This information will be included in your Corridor Access Request below.

3. Obtain a Corridor Access Request (CAR)

A CAR notifies the Council of your intended works on road reserve. To obtain a CAR, register on Submitica

4. Request comments from property owners / neighbours

Provide comments from the property owners next to the proposed encroachment site. Normally this is limited to your neighbours on either side of the site. We will let you know if you need to consult more widely.

You can ask your neighbours to fill in the Neighbours Comments Form (37KB PDF), or to email you.

Submit your application without comments if you have not received a response after two weeks of your request.

5. Provide (preferably digital) A3 plans (1:100/1:200)

  • Site plan showing:
    - dimensions of all property boundaries, footpaths, kerbs, handrails, utility poles and services
    - location of existing and proposed fences (height 1m maximum), walls and landscape work
    - all trees and vegetation to be removed, including branches or parts of the tree to be pruned - each individual tree must be clearly marked and its species identified (if unsure, email
    - mitigation planting with details of species, planter bag (PB) size, density per square metre.
  • Front and side elevation drawings showing:
    - gradients and the finished ground levels, if these will be altered
    - dimensions of proposed structures
    - dimensions of setbacks from the kerb edge.

All encroachment structures must be set back 2.2m from utility poles.