Consents & licences


Find out about registering your dog, owner responsibilities, public exercise spaces, lost and impoun...

Health licences

Certain types of businesses (for example, hairdressers, funeral homes, and kennels and catteries) ne...


    You need an encroachment licence to build a structure on, over or under the strip of land between your property's front boundary and the road or footpath.

    Road stopping

    Road stopping is the process of changing legal road land into fee simple land so that it can be sold to the adjoining owner.

      Fencing your pool or spa

      You must have a barrier around a swimming pool on your property. Spa pools can use lockable lids as long as they meet the requirements.

      Keeping animals

      If you want to keep animals on residential properties, you must comply with Part 2 of the Wellington...

      Trading in public places

      In most situations, you need a Council trading licence if you want to sell something in a public pla...

        Street performance & busking

        If you want to perform or busk on the city streets, you'll need a licence.

        Street appeals

        If you want to collect money on the street for a charity, you need to apply for a temporary licence ...

          Signs & posters

          Find out what to do if you want to put up a sign, or report damage or complain about a sign.


          If you want to carry out any non-pedestrian activities on the public footpath, you'll need to contac...

          Gambling consents

          To operate a gambling machine or gambling venue in Wellington City, you must apply for consent from ...

            Amusement devices

            Fairground rides, jeeps and vertical bungies require approval from the Council and will incur a fee....