Apply for Council housing

To move into a City Housing property you must fill in an application form, provide certain documents and meet eligibility criteria.

As well as the forms and documents needed to apply you must also meet the eligibility criteria: Who can get Council Housing



City Housing Application Form (678KB PDF)

Application form 

To apply, complete and return the Council's City Housing Application form. 

Copies of the form are also available from the City Housing desk in the Council's Service Centre.

Return your completed form and any required documents to the City Housing desk, or post to: 

City Housing
Wellington City Council
PO Box 2199
Wellington 6140

Meeting with an Allocation Advisor.

Meeting with an Allocation Advisor

Documents you need to provide

You must provide:

  • identification (certified copies are okay)
  • income and assets information
  • proof of housing costs
  • proof of New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency
  • medical certificate / support letter (if relevant).

The City Housing application form has details about exactly what kind of proof is required.

What happens next

The City Housing team will process your application form and get in touch with you to arrange a meeting with an Allocation Advisor.

The Allocation Advisor will talk to you about your needs and confirm whether or not you are eligible for a City Housing home.

The City Housing team will put you on a waiting list if a suitable home is not available right away.

Before you move in, you will have to sign a tenancy agreement and pay a bond (1 week's rent and 3 weeks bond):